£32,500 - £35,000 per annum (plus benefits)
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. Because it's only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That's why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You'll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You'll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network - and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we're pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Do you have an Aeronautical/Aviation background, are you eager for a new challenge and interested in working on some of the UK's leading Defence Aerospace programmes supporting our armed forces in both current and future operations? If so, this could be the ideal job for you!
We, at Defence, Equipment & Support (DE&S), are looking for engineers with experience in either avionics, structural integrity (whole aircraft), mechanical systems, propulsion, electronics, weapons integration, security, software certification, or support equipment in an Air Environment. We are interested in engineers who want to develop their career in Engineering Management. To support your ambition, we offer progressive training and development to enhance your capabilities and develop new skill sets. We want to empower you to overcome the next challenge, and create a long and rewarding career within DE&S. The range of opportunities available to you is vast.
We welcome applications from those individuals that already hold, or are working towards, Professional Registered status, and for those without, we will encourage and support you to achieve this within 12 months of starting in the post.
Due to security requirements, some of these roles are reserved for sole UK nationals only.
Interviews will only be conducted between the 17th and 26th August 2022. Please ensure your availability to book appointments on those days.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Air Engineer
As Air Engineer, you will be deployed into one of our Engineering Delivery Teams supporting our Fast Jet, AIR Intelligence, Surveillance, Targeting, Acquisition and Reconnaissance (ISTAR) platforms, Heavy lift (C130 A400M), Pilot Training Platforms, or the equipment, simulators and facilities that enable them.
You will lead the engineering related activities of a project, service, or system, managing the technical risk in any phase of the acquisition lifecycle.
Your responsibilities as Air Engineer could include:
- Managing engineering technical requirements (definition, architecture, integration, contract assessment and change management)
- Being responsible for the development and maintenance of system requirements including in-service support
- Providing specialist advice on the application of safety and environmental management systems
- Determining the quality management and assurance approaches and ensure technical risks are understood and managed
- Participating in the identification, selection, evaluation, performance verification and demonstrations within your technical area
- Producing and contributing to Engineering Management Plans
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Hold a HNC (i.e., Level 4 or higher) qualification in an Engineering discipline, or have demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
- Have experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
- Have experience interacting with various stakeholders both internal and external to the business
- Have experience of delivering your engineering outcomes within the Military or Civil Aviation regulatory environment
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Experience of safety engineering and risk management
- Evidence of maintaining continued professional development and assisting with the development of others
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Improve Engineering Capability
- Technical Requirements, Evaluation and Acceptance
- Making effective decisions
What's in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression - and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits . Find out more about our pension schemes .
We're exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Air Engineer by creating an account and upload your details.
Closing date: 8 th August 2022.