At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defence UK (BDUK) is a subsidiary of the Boeing Company and currently employs over 1,400 people in the UK. We are responsible for delivering several exciting contracts to our UK defence customers including new capabilities like the E-7 AEW&C and the P-8A Maritime Patrol Aircraft, C4ISR Services, Support for the Chinook & Apache Fleets, Logistic Information Services and Training Services and are very much in a growth phase. In March 2019, the MOD announced its selection of the Boeing E-7 Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) aircraft for the RAF, which is expected to be in service with the RAF in 2023. It will be a central asset in the RAF's future Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition and Reconnaissance (ISTAR) Force.
The E-7 programme comprises several service lines (i.e. workstreams) spanning both the air and ground segments. We require experienced Senior Systems Engineers to join us to play a key part in the team responsible for delivering the Ground Support Segment elements of the capability, including mission support systems and training devices. The roles are fundamental in translating customer needs/requirements into appropriate solutions and will require the successful candidate to work in and/or manage multidisciplinary teams to both generate proposals and develop deliverable solutions. They will also provide Systems Engineering support and expertise across all stages of the project lifecycle.
E-7 is an international programme with key partners being Boeing Defence, Space and Security, based in the USA, and Boeing Defence Australia. You will be part of our ongoing collaboration with these business units, and this provides opportunities for travel for short- or longer-term periods if desired. You may also get the opportunity to work on a variety of other programmes, business development opportunities and contribute to engineering excellence across the company as part of your ongoing career development with Boeing.
Aside from your technical work you there is the potential to support company initiatives, for example, quality improvements, promoting a safety culture, promoting Diversity and Inclusion, mentoring and coaching, STEM outreach and a number of focus projects to support the growth of the company including its employees.
As a BDUK employee, you will have access to flexible and virtual working arrangements, benefits packages, employee incentive programs and study assistance. You will also have access to many resources that you will be able to access in order to inform and support your development throughout your career with us.
While we work in agile and dynamic engineering environments, your wellbeing is important to us and we strive to find a healthy life balance and ethical team culture with a strong emphasis on openness, collaboration, innovation, safety and first-time quality. The primary location for our E-7 Engineering team is Bristol, with the general expectation of 2 - 3 days a week in the office to foster collaboration and team efficiency. We will also consider applicants who may prefer to be based out of our Yeovil and Frimley offices.
Responsibilities will likely include:
- Development and improvement of requirement specifications with cross-functional teams
- Development of solutions using techniques such as Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and Trade Studies
- Generation of plans and associated artefacts to perform Integration, Test, Evaluation and Acceptance (ITEA) activities
- Managing technical baselines (e.g. requirements, performance measures, solution) including configuration and change control, working with parties from across the global Boeing Enterprise
- Development of systems engineering artefacts (e.g. management plans, schedules, reports)
- Leading of technical management and governance tasks (metrics, reporting, team tasking, risk/issue/opportunity management)
- Collaboration with and reporting to Customer representatives and our global Boeing partners
- Leading technical problem solving and risk mitigation/issue resolution activities
- Managing the workload of a team of engineers to achieve a technical objective
- Being considered the focal/expert in one or more elements of Systems Engineering for the programme or a particular technical area
- The tailoring and application of engineering initiatives, best practices and quality processes; and contributing to Continuous Improvement
What We Are Looking For:
- Significant applied experience across the elements of Systems Engineering, with you considering yourself to be an expert in one of more of the following: requirements development and management; interface management; system architectures; MBSE; integration of specialties; Verification and Validation; technical governance, risk/issue and change management
- Good proficiency in the setting up and usage of one of more of IBM DOORS or similar, or MBSE tools such as CAMEO or Enterprise Architect
- Excellent technical problem-solving skills
- Experience of showing the ability to collaborate effectively with geographically dispersed and diverse teams
- Strong interpersonal communication and influencing skills
- An ability to effectively communicate written technical information
- Proficient office IT skills
- Experience of Customer and wider stakeholder management
- Experience of leading work packages or integrated project teams from a technical perspective
A degree level (or equivalent) qualification in Engineering, Systems Engineering, or an Engineering related field and already be, or aspire to be, a Chartered Engineer with a recognised professional body such as the Institute of Engineering and Technology or the Royal Aeronautical Society (not essential).
We have scheduled dates in May (10th and 19th) to hold conversations and interviews with interested candidates. If you have experience in non-aviation or defence industries, but have solid experience in Systems Engineering, we would be very happy to invite you for an informal exploratory conversation with one of the team. We would appreciate the opportunity to understand how your skills and experience to date would align, bearing in mind our continued drive to increase diversity within the organisation!
Work Authorisation: This position does not have sponsorship approval. This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. Candidates must have current legal authorisation to work immediately in the United Kingdom. Boeing will not attempt to obtain Immigration and labour sponsorship for any applicants.
Security Clearance: This position requires the ability to obtain a UK security clearance for which the Government requires UK Citizenship.
Relocation: This position does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.