At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Reporting to the BDUK System Safety and Environmental Manager the Software Safety Lead Engineer will undertake the development strategy for all BDUK Safety Related Software. This is a full-time role with a flexible base location (Bristol, Yeovil, Frimley or Milton Keynes) with some hybrid working options. Some UK and international travel is likely. We offer a supportive career opportunity to enable growth and progression (and movement between programmes) that rewards excellence and fosters an inclusive environment where team members are seen, heard, valued, respected and fully engaged.
The role has the following key responsibilities:
Lead on the development of Software Safety artefacts and associated documentation in accordance with MoD Safety Policy and Defence Standard 00-055 for all safety related software development programmes including the development and update of:
- Safety Management Plans
- Safety assessments for safety related data and information systems and the selection and application of appropriate software safety techniques
- Safety Assessments for safety related software development programmes
- Functional Failure Analysis of safety related applications
- Developing and maintaining Hazard Logs using the CASSANDRA or other Hazard Log tools.
- Producing and maintaining Safety Cases, Safety Case Reports for safety related software products and services
- Safety Arguments using Claims, Argument Evidence and Goal Structuring Notation using the Adelard Assurance and Safety Case Environment
- Activity involved in software failure assessment and corrective action processes. Ensure close liaison, through proactive lead behavior, with other Boeing, customer and supplier technical disciplines to ensure appropriate evidence is available to support the Software Safety Cases/Assessment
- Proactively support customer and supplier software safety meetings and chair Software Safety Working Groups
- Demonstrable experience leading and developing Safety Assessments for MoD ground based systems, Information Systems and data
- Previous industry Safety Engineering experience in the application of MoD Safety Policy and Def Stan 00-056
- Understanding and experience of applying safety techniques to safety related data and information systems
- Experience developing Safety Cases for information systems and Safety Cases for Services
- Familiarity with software standards such as RTCA DO-178B/C and IEC 61508 Part 3
- Experience with the use of common safety tools, specifically CASSANDRA, Adelard Assurance and Safety Case Environment
- Demonstrate the ability to lead on the planning of work, and develop/use meaningful metrics to evaluate safety status and provide performance visibility
- Able to effectively identify and execute opportunities to improve strategies, processes and project plans
- Experience of developing resource workload plans and schedules
- Experience of providing safety support into bids and proposals
- Lead on the removal of obstacles by identifying where and what help is needed and coordinating with the appropriate leaders and team members
- Degree in Engineering or equivalent
- The candidate should possess strong communication skills, technical competency, and skills with project management concepts/tools
- Software development methodologies.
- Software testing
Work Authorisation: This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. Candidates must have current legal authorisation to work immediately in the United Kingdom. Boeing will not attempt to obtain Immigration and labour sponsorship for any applicants. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S. based payroll
Security Clearance: This position requires the ability to obtain a UK security clearance for which the Government requires UK Citizenship
Relocation: This position does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.