Job Profile SummaryAs bp Reimagines Energy for people and planet, we need people focused on helping us to: engage with stakeholders, including our trade associations; advocate for policies that advance the energy transition (Aim 6); drive fundamental progress toward the Paris goals; and support our strategy as we transition to an integrated energy company. To do this, we need seamless coordination and integration across central and regional Communications & External Affairs (C&EA), Strategy, Sustainability & Ventures (SS&V) and other bp entities. This coordination should include feedback loops with external and internal stakeholders, including SS&V to ensure we actively listen, stay ahead of issues, advocate respecting bp's sustainability and policy positions and continue to be an industry leader in the energy transition.The purpose of this role is to provide the leadership to ensure this coordination is effective, and to be able to demonstrate that this is the case.
About the job:
- This is a new role in a new and growing area for bp and our stakeholders, which means that early days will be a mix of internal diplomacy and developing ways of working and connection points across the variety of teams with equities across a multitude of issues.
- Encouragement for C&EA and business leaders to break out of BAU and build bridges to new external audiences and stakeholders, continually evolving our approach and creating successful feedback loops.
- Working in a complex highly matrixed organization building working relationships across C&EA, the business entities, SS&V and regions, taking into account the needs of this diverse group of stakeholders in external plan development and execution.
- Delivering results in a highly ambiguous space with constantly changing deliverables and in some instances no clear decision maker.
- Measurement and an external view/network will be key for bp to be a leader in this new and growing space.
- Act as an integrator, working internally including SS&V and regional C&EA teams to support seamless integration of policy positions into central and regional advocacy, and internal/external reporting and transparency, all in support of helping bp deliver its strategy.
- Oversee the issues management team to scan for, prioritise and proactively address key reputational issues of importance to bp. Implementation of the revised risk and opportunities process will be instrumental to this and a key accountability of the role.
- Lead all aspects of the stakeholder management team in developing and maintaining maps, engagement plans and feedback loops to bring the outside in', ensure we understand perceptions of bp, and act on them.
- Provide strategic direction in development and deployment of new and enhanced digital tools at the centre for stakeholder management, issue prioritisation and in support transparency on policy and advocacy.
- Work closely with the political intelligence team on geopolitical risks/analysis to ensure a strong understanding of near and longer-term non-technical risks and how this impacts advocacy, issues and stakeholder engagement.
- Provide leadership, direction and measurement for bp's Aim 6 (advocating) and Aim 8 (aligning associations).
- Strong strategic communication and leadership skills, excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities, the gravitas to make executive decisions when needed, and be able to work in a steady and diplomatic way under pressure.
- Highly innovative communications and external affairs leader with an understanding of how to reach relevant external stakeholder groups in complex and sometimes highly charged political environments, both before and after bid submission.
- Creative problem-solver who can convey bp's commitment to advancing the energy transition - advocating for bp's priorities and marketing the business to countries, partners and customers.
- Very strong integration, interpersonal and project management skills that empower diverse teams, build trust, and to ensure activity is delivered on deadline and is adaptable to ever-changing circumstances.
- Minimum of a degree plus post-graduate studies / experience in communications, political science or a related business discipline.
- If you don't already have a background in energy you'll need to be able to demonstrate you understand the complexities and challenges of the energy industry.
Regions, Cities & Solutions
Job Family Group
Communications & External Affairs Group
Yes - up to 25%
About BPCOMMUNICATIONS & ADVOCACY
Communications & advocacy (C&A) exists to enhance bp's reputation and create value for its businesses. Can you win hearts and minds by engaging with staff and society, communicating our purpose and our progress, as well as campaigning for net zero and actively advocating for well-designed climate policies? If so, you're in the right place.
Join us and help us achieve our goals by:
enhancing our reputation and brand to support our purpose and ambition
sharing our net zero ambition and aims, using our relationships and influence to help the world get to net zero
being disciplined, creative and bold as we execute our campaigns to reimagine energy, reinvent ourselves and perform while transforming
fostering a favourable external environment that supports our businesses now, and in the future
strengthening relationships with a wider base of stakeholders and mobilising their support
training, equipping and mobilising our staff and alumni as advocates
preparing for and responding effectively to unforeseen events and challenges
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, neurodiversity/neurocognitive functioning, veteran status or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations.